Thank you for your interest in the Digital Brand Hub of the Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
We take data protection and privacy issues very seriously and comply with the applicable national and European data protection regulations. Therefore, we would like to inform you with this declaration about data protection measures and which data we may store and how we use this data.
Data collection by this website
Whenever a user accesses the website, the user's internet browser automatically transfers the following data to our web server for technical reasons:
- IP address of the requesting computer
- date and time of access
- name and URL of the retrieved file
- transferred data volume
- access status (file transferred, file not found etc.)
- identification data of the browser and operating system used
- name of the provider of user's internet access
- website from which access is made
This data is collected, processed and used for enabling the use of the website (connection setup), system security and technical administration of the network infrastructure. A comparison with other databases or a transfer to third parties, also in excerpts, does only take place after an anonymization of the IP address of the accessing computer. The legal basis for processing is Art. 6 para. 1 b GDPR.
The legal basis for processing is Art. 6 para. 1 f GDPR, whereby our authorization arises from the fact that, on the one hand, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, has an interest in evaluating the website data for purposes of website optimization and, on the other hand, a concerned person can reasonably foresee at the time when the personal data is collected and in view of the circumstances under which it is carried out (in particular the above-mentioned measures) that it will possibly be processed for this purpose.
We collect and process your personal data only if you request certain services and we need your data for this purpose or if you have voluntarily given us your express consent. The legal basis for processing is Art. 6 Para. 1 b GDPR and Art. 6 Para. 1 a GDPR.
You can do this, for example, by completing a registration form, signing in as a user or sending us an email. Unless otherwise required by law, we will only use your personal data for the purposes for which you have given your consent.
For special services such as newsletters, e-mail notifications etc. the respective special data protection provisions apply.
At Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, those bodies within our company receive your data that are required to fulfill our contractual and legal obligations. Some data must be disclosed under strict contractual and legal requirements:
- Due to legal obligation: In certain cases, we are required by law to transfer data to a requesting public authority. Upon submission of a court order, we are obliged pursuant to § 101 of the German Copyright Act to provide owners of copyright and ancillary copyrights with information about customers who are alleged to have offered copyright-protected works on internet file-sharing sites. In these cases, our information contains the user ID of an IP address allocated at the time requested and, if known, the name and address of the customer. In other respects, personal data will only be transferred to state institutions and public authorities within the framework of mandatory national legal provisions or if disclosure is necessary in the event of attacks on the network infrastructure for legal or criminal prosecution. The legal basis for processing is Art. 6 Para. 1 c GDPR or § 24 Para. 2 No. 1 German Federal Data Protection Act.
- To external service providers for data processing:
When service providers get access to our customers' personal data, this usually takes place in the course of so-called order processing of personal data. This is expressly provided for by law. In this case, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, remains responsible for the protection of your data – in addition, the processor may also be responsible. The service provider works strictly in accordance with our instructions, which we ensure by means of strict contractual regulations, technical and organizational measures and supplementary controls. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, works with service suppliers as processors. These are Group companies and service providers for IT services (e. g. for technical-administrative tasks and for usage analysis), telecommunications, consulting and advisory services as well as sales and marketing.
The data protection regulations for instruction-bound order processing of personal data are complied with.
- To Group companies:
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, may transfer your personal data to Group companies in order to carry out a business relationship with you or for the purposes of legitimate interests.
If data are transferred abroad, they are based within the EU or the EEA or in a country which, according to the decision of the EU Commission, has an appropriate level of data protection. In the case of data transfers to Group companies domiciled in other countries, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, ensures by way of guarantees that the data-importing Group company has been obligated to an appropriate level of data protection.
Beyond this, we do not transfer data to third parties unless you have given your express consent, the transfer is obviously necessary for the provision of an offer or service requested by you or this is provided for by law. We also do not intend to transfer your data beyond this to a third country or international organization.
We store data as long as it is legally necessary or necessary for the provision of the service requested by you, or as long as it has been agreed upon in a declaration of consent.
What other rights do I have regarding my stored data?
You may at any time and free of charge request information about the scope, origin and recipients of the stored data as well as the purpose of the storage; in addition, you have the right to rectification, erasure or restriction of the processing of your data in accordance with data protection regulations, a right to object to the processing as well as a right to data portability. Please note that there is a right of appeal to a supervisory authority.
You have the right to withdraw your consent to the use of your data at any time. Just send an E-mail or send a letter to the following address:
Merck KGaA | Frankfurter Str. 250 | 64293 Darmstadt | Germany
The data processing performed based on your consent is legal until the time of withdrawal.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact the Group Data Protection Officer of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, at any time:
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Group Data Protection Officer
Frankfurter Straße 250
This data privacy declaration is up-to-date and dates from July 1, 2020. We reserve the right to amend the data privacy declaration at any time with effect for the future, in particular to adapt it to a further development of the website or the implementation of new technologies.
Your Personal Information
The categories of personal information we may have collected from you, the sources of that personal information, and how and with whom we may have used or shared such personal information during the past year include the following:
Category of Personal Information Collected Source of Information Purpose for Collection Categories of Recipients Contact information: such as your name, address, email address, telephone numbers, or other contact information From you, your authorized agent, or family member; from public data sources; from your health care provider or other caregiver; from other parties such as conference organizers or publishers which have received personal information from you. To communicate with you; to enroll you in programs or services; to send you catalogs, information, newsletters, promotional materials and other offerings from us or on behalf of our partners and affiliates; to offer you the chance to participate in contests or other promotional activities; when you contact us; when you request customer service or support; to complete your registration on our websites (“Sites”); to administer your account with us. Our service providers, and our co-marketing partners, including select partners and affiliates that we believe may have or facilitate offers that may be of interest to you. Payment Information: name, card issuer and card type, credit or debit card number, expiration date, CVV code and billing address. From you and your payment card issuer. To check that the right person is using the right card or account, meets the requirements of the card brands or account issuers, and to make sure we are paid for what you buy. Our service providers who process payments for us and who are contractually required to comply with laws and requirements applicable to payment processing, which may include Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards. Legal Information: fraud checks or flags raised about your transactions, the payment card you want to use, payment card refusals, suspected crimes, complaints, claims and accidents. From you, the police, crime and fraud prevention agencies, payment card providers, the public, regulators, your and our professional advisors and representatives. To protect you, other customers and our business against criminal activities and risks, make sure we understand and can meet our legal obligations to you and others and can defend ourselves. Our service providers who help us with fraud protection and credit risk reduction, and law enforcement and other governmental authorities in accordance with applicable law. Preference Information: your marketing preferences, your account settings (including any default preferences), any preferences you have indicated, the types of services/offers that interest you, the areas of our Sites or Apps that you have visited or ways that you interact with our Sites or Apps. From you, from our website technology interaction with your browser/devices and cookies and other similar technologies tracking the pages you visit, the marketing messages you open and the links you follow. To enhance your online shopping experience, including as a way to recognize you and welcome you to the Sites or applications (“Apps”), to provide you with customized Site or App content, targeted offers from us or others, promotions and advertising on our Sites or Apps, through other third party sites or apps, via email, text messages, or App push notifications that are offered by us or others that might be of interest to you. Our third-party vendors and service providers that perform website analytic services for us or enable the customization of offers to you to improve your shopping experiences through our Sites, our Apps or elsewhere. Communications: communications we have with you. Please note that we may record calls to our customer service team or other sites for quality assurance. From you To handle your requests, to contact you when necessary or requested, including responding to your questions and comments and providing customer support, and to obtain customer feedback and improve our customer service and customer shopping experience. Our service providers who assist us with customer service. Voluntary information: any voluntary information you provide us with, such as responses to surveys or competitions and social media account details. From you and your social media account provider. To know you better, make our communications with you more personal, learn and improve from your survey feedback, organize events and pick competition winners. Our service providers who administer surveys and promotions, and our co-marketing partners. Personalization: your journey online and how you use our Sites and Apps, whether and when you open our marketing emails and respond to our advertisements. From you, from our Sites or Apps technology interaction with your browser or devices and cookies tracking the pages you visit. To improve our Sites, Apps, products and services, customer service, and customer shopping experience. Our third-party vendors and service providers that perform website analytic services for us or enable the customization of offers to you to improve your shopping or website experience for our Sites, our Apps or elsewhere. Device information: IP address, internet provider, operating system and browser used, type of device (such as laptop or smart phone), device cookie settings and other device details (such as MAC address and geolocation), if you use our Sites or Apps and permit them to obtain your precise geolocation. From you and from our website or app technology’s interaction with your browser or devices.
To make sure our website and app technology works properly with your device and make sure you can see and use our intended website and apps on the device you are using, for analytical and demographic purposes, and to provide offers that may be of interest to you.
We also will use this information to protect the security and integrity of the Site and our business, such as by protecting against and preventing fraud, unauthorized transactions, and managing risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
Our service providers who help us with fraud protection, and third-party vendors and service providers that perform website analytic services for us or enable more relevant offers to you on our Sites, our Apps or elsewhere. Information automatically collected from your browser: when you use our Sites or Apps, some data is automatically transferred from your browser to our server, including your browser type, operating system type or mobile device model, viewed webpages, links that are clicked, IP address, mobile device identifier or other unique identifier, sites or apps visited before coming to our Sites or Apps, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Sites or Apps, the number of times you return, or other click-stream or site usage data, emails we send that you open, forward, or click through to our Sites or Apps. From you and from our website or app technology’s interaction with your browser or devices.
We will use this information in an aggregated non-specific format for analytical and demographic purposes.
We also will use this information to protect the security or integrity of our websites and our business, such as by protecting against and preventing fraud, unauthorized transactions, and managing risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
Our third-party vendors and service providers that perform website analytic services for us or enable the customization of offers to you to improve your shopping or website experience and the relevance of offers to you on our Sites, our Apps or elsewhere.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law provides you with the following rights with respect to your personal information:
- The right to know what personal information we have collected, used or disclosed about you.
- The right to request that we delete any personal information we have collected about you.
No Sale of Personal Information
We do not sell your personal information, as defined in the CCPA.
You may submit requests to delete and/or to know personal information we have collected about you by accessing our California Consumer Rights request portal at:
or by contacting our Toll-Free Telephone Number at: +1 (888) 914-9661 (PIN 659429)
We will respond to your request in compliance with the requirements of CCPA or other applicable law.
Verification of your Identity
When you exercise these rights and submit a request to us, we or our partners will verify your identity by asking you to authenticate your identity via standard authentication procedures. For example, we may ask for your email address, order numbers of previous orders of our products and services, the last four digits of a credit or debit card or bank account number used to make a purchase, or the date of your last purchase from us. We also may use a third-party verification provider to verify your identity.
If you make a request under the CCPA, we will not discriminate against you in any way. For example, we will not deny you goods or services, charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, deny you discounts or other benefits or impose penalties on you, or provide you with or suggest that you will receive a different level or quality of goods or services.
You may permit an authorized agent to submit a request to know or to delete your personal information. If we receive a request on your behalf, we will ask that person to give us proof that you gave that person written permission to make a request for you. If that person does not provide us with written proof, we will deny their request so that we can protect your personal information.
Cookie List (12/2021)
- Websites load faster;
- Websites may be browsed faster;
- Your settings, such as language and time zone, may be saved;
- Security on websites is improved since your identity may be verified; and
- Your log-in to secured websites is facilitated.
We include the following three categories of cookies on our services:
These cookies are necessary to safeguard the functionalities of our services and for the website to operate. Cookies are set in response to your actions and depend on your specific service requests (e.g., setting your privacy preferences, filling out forms, or logging in). More specifically, we set the following cookies:
- _cv: This cookie is used to store the code verifier for CIAM login process. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- _GRECAPTCHA: This cookie is set by Google reCAPTCHA, which protects our site against spam enquiries on contact forms. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- _st: This cookie is used to store the state variable passed to CIAM. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- muser: Used to detect if the user is a Merck KGaA employee based on their IP address. The cookie is usually deleted within one month.
The processing is based on our legitimate business interest to be able to provide our basic webservices in a secure and useful manner. Our website cannot function without these cookies and they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.
These cookies enable the provision of advanced functionalities and are used for personalization. The cookies are set in response to your actions and depend on your specific service requests (e.g., setting the language). More specifically, we set the following cookies:
- a_st: This cookie use to verify the access status of logged in users. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- BRANDHUB_LOGIN_TOKEN: This cookie is used to identify the login of external users. The cookie is usually deleted within one day.
- declined_global_redirect: This cookie is used to redirect to the corresponding correct local site, based on selection by user. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- formsListFiltering: This cookie is used to get the Form Assembly list filters. The cookie is usually deleted within one year.
- i_LI: This cookie is used to identify the login of internal users. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- liveagent_oref: This cookie name is associated with technology from LiveAgent, which provides online chat and customer support functionality. The cookie is usually deleted within one year..
- liveagent_ptid: This cookie name is associated with technology from LiveAgent, which provides online chat and customer support functionality. The cookie is usually deleted within one year..
- liveagent_vc: This cookie name is associated with technology from LiveAgent, which provides online chat and customer support functionality. The cookie is usually deleted within one year..
- u_em: This cookie is used to restrict the datasteward who can approve/deny the registration request. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- u_na: This cookie is used to display the loggedin user name in dashboard page. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- a_st: This cookie use to verify the access status of logged in users. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
These cookies may be set to learn more about your interests and show you relevant ads on other websites. These cookies work by uniquely identifying your browser and device. By integrating these cookies, we aim to learn more about your interests and your behavior on our websites in order to place our advertising in a targeted manner. More specifically, we set the following cookies:
- _ga: This cookie is a Google Analytics cookie which is used to distinguish unique users. The cookie is usually deleted within two years.
- _gat_gtag_UA_...: This cookie is a Google Analytics cookie which is used to distinguish unique users. The cookie is usually deleted within two years.
- _gid: The purpose of this cookie is to store data including the number of visitors, the source where they have come from, and the pages visited in an anonymous form. The cookie is usually deleted within one day.
- _hjid: This cookie is set when the customer first lands on a page with the Hotjar script. It is used to persist the random user ID, unique to that site on the browser. The cookie is usually deleted within one year.
- AMCV_...: Unique visitor IDs used by Experience Cloud Solutions. The cookie is usually deleted within two years.
- AMCVS_...: Unique visitor IDs used by Experience Cloud Solutions. The cookie is usually deleted within two years.
- demdex: This cookie helps Adobe Audience Manger perform basic functions such as visitor identification, ID synchronization, segmentation, modeling, reporting, etc.. The cookie is usually deleted within 8640 days.
- dpm: Adobe Audience Manager - data management platform uses this cookie to record information around synchronisation of IDs. The cookie is usually deleted within six months.
- ev_sync_dd: This cookie is used to link anonymous analytics data into a visitor profile and help provide a personalised experience through the website, marketing and advertising. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- everest_g_v2: This cookie carries out information about how the end user uses the website and any advertising that the end user may have seen before visiting the said website. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
- uuid: This cookie is used to optimize ad relevance by collecting visitor data from multiple websites. The cookie is usually deleted when you close your browser.
Some computer browsers automatically accept all cookies. In this case, you may not see the Cookie Center which allows you to manage your cookies individually. However, you can change your browser settings to block all cookies. You may also be able to configure your browser settings so that only certain types of cookies are blocked or so that you are notified as soon as a new cookie is to be stored on your computer. In this case, you can accept or reject cookies individually. If this function is available to you, you will find more detailed explanations in the help function of your browser. There you will also find information on how to delete all or certain cookies for which you have given us your consent. For more information on managing and deleting cookies for popular browsers, please see the following links: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari.
Page has been added to your favorites.×
Page has been removed from your favorites.×